I received many request to write a post to give more clarity on IBM z/VM , z/OS guest VM supports / compatibility on Nutanix Acropolis cluster – Supported AHV, VMawre ESXi, Hyper-V hypervisor. I tried to delivery more information on this topic to all my technology geek reader. so they would have more detailed information about IBM z/VM, z/OS supporting comparability on Nutanix platform.
Lets go to take an deep dive to get the best answer about z/VM , z/OS compatibility to run on Nutanix acropolis cluster – AHV hypervisor.
I will discuss following queries in this post:
- What is z/VM and z/OS ?
- What is difference between z/VM vs z/OS ?
- Which platforms support z/VM vs z/OS ?
- Does Nutanix Platform supports z/VM vs z/OS ?
What is z/VM ?
The z/VM is the IBM’s highly secure and scalable hypervisor that supports cloud infrastructure and for running critical applications. z/VM is the current version in IBM’s VM family of virtual machine operating systems. z/VM was first released in October 2000 and remains in active use and development as of 2019.
- IBM z/VM supports Linux, z/OS, z/VSE and z/TPF operating systems on IBM Z and LinuxONE servers. It can host thousands of virtual servers on a single system.
- z/VM has advanced the scaling capability again, increasing the limit of 64 logical processors to 80 logical processors. When combined with z/VM Single System Image (SSI) clusters, this can provide a 320 logical processor environment with the four SSI-members.
- The IBM z/VM hypervisor is a virtualization technology platform for two of the industry’s best-of-breed environments – IBM Z and IBM LinuxONE server. IBM z/VM supports the Linux, IBM z/OS, IBM z/VSE and IBM z/TPF operating systems.
- Long recognized as a robust hypervisor, z/VM virtualization enables a highly secure and scalable infrastructure for enterprise cloud and Linux deployment along with all kinds of applications.
Benefits of Using IBM z/VM Hypervisor:
- Efficiency and scalability
- Continuous deployment without risk
- Support for Linux, z/OS, z/TPF and z/VSE
- Pervasive encryption enablement
- System ease of use
Read more about IBM z/VM hypervisor here
What is z/OS ?
The z/OS is a 64-bit operating system for IBM mainframes produced by IBM. z/OS runs as guest VM on z/VM hypervisor. z/OS is a UNIX based operating system. z/OS support enables two open systems interfaces on the operating system: an application programming interface (API) and an interactive shell interface.
- Mainframes with z/OS are typically used to run large, complex, mission-critical workloads for large enterprise organizations.
- IBM z/OS is designed to support clients with workload efficiency, scalability, improved analytics capabilities, and resiliency to deliver capabilities that enhance availability, performance, and improved security and data protection.
- Easier integration of z/OS into private and multi-cloud environments with improvements that deliver a more robust, easy to use, and highly available implementation using IBM Cloud Provisioning and Management for z/OS, IBM z/OS Cloud Broker and IBM Cloud Storage Access for z/OS Data
- Enhancements that continue to simplify and modernize the z/OS environment for a better user
- Experience and improved productivity by reducing the level of IBM Z specific skills that are required to maintain z/OS
- IBM Open Data Analytics for z/OS provides enhancements to simplify data analysis by combining open source runtimes and libraries with analysis of z/OS data at its source
- IBM z/OS Container Extensions (zCX), which enables the ability to run almost any Linux on IBM Z Docker container in z/OS.
Read more about IBM z/OS here
What is difference between z/VM vs z/OS ?
The major difference between IBM z/VM and z/OS is that – the z/VM is the Hypervisor that is direclty installed on IBM mainframe servers and z/OS is the UNIX based operating system to runs the high workload production applications.
Which platforms support z/VM vs z/OS ?
The z/VM and z/OS was developed by IBM only for mainframe server for highly critical workload.
Is Nutanix Supports z/VM vs z/OS ?
No, Nutanix Platform supported hypervisors ( Nutanix AHV, VMware ESXi or Hyper-V ) does not support z/VM and z/OS. IBM z/VM and z/OS is compatible and degsined to run on IBM mainframe servers only.
Read more: Nutanix AHV Supported Guest OS List
The z/VM and z/OS is IBM products and supports IBM mainframe servers only, Nutanix platform and Nutanix native AHV hypervisor does not support it.
Thanks to being with HyperHCI Tech Blog to stay tuned and active to gain more techie updates.